Ketosis is a natural way of your body producing more ketones to burn off fat and allows you to stay fit and healthy.
The main question people have is “What is the quickest way I can get into ketosis?”
We are going to give you a few tips as well as little more information about protein, exogenous ketones, bullet proof coffee and much more.
To help you get into ketosis a lot quicker, we have compiled a list to assist you:
- Eat more healthy fat by eating foods that contain coconut oil, avocado oil and butter.
- Supplements can help you get into ketosis in as quick as 24hrs which will touch on in the next chapter
- Eat fewer carbohydrates as your body will begin to turn to burning fat as an energy source opposed to glucose.
- Consume more MCT – A lot of people on the keto diet, include this in their morning coffee know as bullet proof coffee.
- Exercise more but keep it light.
- Eat a balanced amount of protein.
- Try fasting to speed up the process.
There are many more tips, but these are the main ones to get you into ketosis quickly.
Let’s look at a few more points.
Protein is one nutrient that many people take for granted while on the keto diet. Protein is crucial in any diet as it will have an effect on:
- The functionality of the brain
- Health of bones of skin
- Muscle growth
- Recovery after workouts
- Reducing body fat
The above allows you to live a longer life and boosts your metabolism, but some people worry that too much protein will push you back out of ketosis.
Remember you want the already stored fat in your body to burn first.
Protein contains fewer calories than fat. If you do not consume protein as part of your diet you can suffer from weak muscles, sluggish brain activity, a compromised immune system and your risk of disease will increase.
You’re probably asking yourself right now – “How much protein do I need?”
The amount required may vary from person to person, but if you are not as active as you were in your teens it is recommended to consume around 0.8 grams of protein per pound of body mass.
If you are very active or training for a sporting event then consume 1-1.2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.
Don’t be afraid of adding protein to your diet. Just don’t add too much of it. Testing yourself to see if you’re in ketosis will help keep you on track.
Not everyone will burn the same amount of fat even if they’re on the exact same diet and training regimen. There are many factors in play and people are different.
Ultimately, achieving your best with the keto diet will boil down to how much ketones your body is producing. If your body’s production of ketones is low, consuming exogenous ketones will be perfect to give you the boost you need.
Exogenous ketones are a supplement which is
directly sent to the cells for energy whereas the body would burn fats,
transport nutrients to the liver and turn them into ketones.
Exogenous ketones are like an instant hit. They can be found in a variety of products such as salts, oils and raw ketone esters and can be used:
- To burn fat – Using exogenous ketones will tell your body to start using ketones for energy which will then result in fat being burned.
- Get into ketosis sooner – Once you’re in ketosis it is very easy to fall out of it and very hard to get back into it. ½ scoop of exogenous ketones will get you back into ketosis within 24hrs.
- Assist you with keto-flu – Your body will go into a state of shock when you transition into ketosis. Less than half a scoop will ease that transition period.
- Increase in endurance – If you need energy right away, rather than burning fat, exogenous ketones will provide that instant energy for you. It is commonly used by athletes.
If you are struggling to get into ketosis then I would recommend exogenous ketones.
If you are like one of those high impact, high performing people that need their bit off coffee every morning or if you simply need that extra amount of good fat – bullet proof coffee is your answer.
It literally stops you from craving food and is completely replaced as a meal and doesn’t give you the negative effects that caffeine does.
It will also help you increase focus and performance and it contains MCT oil which is crucial as it contains good fats which helps with weight loss.
Ingredients needed for bullet proof coffee.
- 1 cup of hot coffee
- 1tbsp of grass fed/unsalted butter
- 1tbsp of MCT oil
Put all the ingredients in a blender and enjoy your new morning ritual as it comes with positive health benefits unlike the usual latte.
So, you can read the labels and point out carbs in every type of food but something that you often scan past is hidden sugar.
If you are not careful with what you eat, then you may be taking on more sugar than you should.
When a label says no sugar, you need to take extra care as to what is actually in it. If any label says no sugar or no refined sugar, then there will be alternatives used in the production of that food.
There aren’t just a few sugar alternatives out there; there are in fact hundreds such as:
- Invert sugar
- Brown sugar
- Malt syrup
- Maple syrup
- Raw sugar
The bolder the statement of no sugar is on the ingredients label, the more careful you need to be.
Ingredients such as Mannitol, Maltitol, Sorbitol, Splenda, Isomalt and lactitol contain sugar or cause insulin spikes and need to be avoided at all cost.
You can find these types of sugars in sugar free drinks, protein bars, store bought green smoothies, non-dairy milks and salad dressing.
Keep an eye on the labels, keep your carbs to the minimum and you’ll be hitting ketosis quite quickly.